Hello - new, and a couple of questions!

Discussion of playing techniques. What do you think of different instruments and accessories?

jenhunt

Hello - new, and a couple of questions!

Post by jenhunt »

Hello! I'm new to this forum, and aside from introducing myself, I have a couple of questions...

So - I've been playing cornet since I was 16, having got bored of the flute once I reached grade 8 and taught myself to play the cornet in order to join a brass band. I'm currently Principal Cornet for Northallerton Silver Band and have been for the last 5 years - we play entirely for the pleasure of doing so, with loads of engagements all year but no contests. Not for everyone, I know, but it suits our happy bunch!

Question Number 1
can any one suggest a good cornet solo - of the sort that an audience likes to listen to. an odd thing to add I know... past solos have included "closest thing to crazy" and "Share my Yoke" and "sheperds song". I'm currently doing 2 duets with our principal Euph (Time to say goodbye and All I ask of you). The conductor is keen on me playing lyrical pieces to bring out the tone I have.

Question Number 2
I really struggle with double tounging on the cornet... I can manage well on the flute (even now, when I haven't played it properly for 15 years!), and I can manage it with the mouthpiece to my lips, but not as soon as I try to play the cornet! Any ideas?

thanks!
Jen :D