Brass Band Soundfonts?

Share some tips, what works and what doesn't work?
dancase

Brass Band Soundfonts?

Post by dancase »

I'm experimenting with some ideas for brass band arrangements, and would like to be able to hear a reasonably proper playback of what I'm working on. The problem, of course, is that the "usual" MIDI sound modules and samplers don't even come close to accurately representing the instrumentation of a brass band. You're usually limited to trumpet, trombone, french horn, and tuba -- though they often don't even resemble those instruments in reality.

Has anyone here come across a good soundfont or other sound source for quality Brass Band instrument sounds? I know that the machine will never match the sound of the "real thing," but I also know that euphoniums, baritones, and tenors do NOT sound the same as trombones and french horns! :-)

Thanks!

D.
njh
Site Admin

Post by njh »

Some time ago this was mentioned on the brass band mailing list. Have a look through the archives, there may be one or two suggestions.

A search on the brass band portal for 'sound font' (2 words) showed me http://www.bandsman.co.uk/brass016/msg00269.htm . Look at it and its followups as starting points.

I have long thought that one of the deliverables (to use a tacky business word) of the next Cyberband should be a set of sounds fonts we could publish. David, what do you think?

-Nigel
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Clinician, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Laurel, MD. ICQ#20252325 twitter: @nigelhorne
njh@bandsman.co.uk https://www.bandsman.co.uk
Silversonic

Brass Band Soundfonts

Post by Silversonic »

Has this been progressed?
I might give it a whirl for a University project.
James McFadyen

Re: Brass Band Soundfonts?

Post by James McFadyen »

For best results, best to use sampling technologies. It can get a little bit complex but after a little bit of practice, it's well worth the labour.

Vienna Symphonic Library are at the cutting edge of acoustic sampling at present; their Euphonium sample library is simply outstanding!!

Good luck.