what is the easiest instrument to play

Discussion of playing techniques. What do you think of different instruments and accessories?

what is the easiest instrument to play?

cornet
8%
baritone
15%
tenor horn
8%
trombone
8%
soprano
15%
bass
No votes
euphonium
23%
precussion
23%

Total votes: 13

suzie_day

what is the easiest instrument to play

Post by suzie_day »

i was just wondering, cos every one says that the tenor horn is easiest, because the mouth piece is neither too big nor too small, yet from my experience, the baritone is easiest.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~susan day*~*~*~*~*~*~

http://brassmusicfreak.6.forumer.com/index.php

baritones rule okay?
RvT

Post by RvT »

The most easiest job is not on your list. I would have voted for the conductor.. :wink:
Rebecca Devaney

Post by Rebecca Devaney »

I heard a man interviewed in the Lord Mayor's parade saying he swopped from the trumpet to the baritone because he was getting old and it was easier.

Don't think I can vote, I've only ever played cornet (and trumpet). Although I can get really high notes on my husbands baritone!
suzie_day

Post by suzie_day »

baritones rule okay?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~susan day*~*~*~*~*~*~

http://brassmusicfreak.6.forumer.com/index.php

baritones rule okay?
jp_euph

some band people are so narrow minded

Post by jp_euph »

"The most easiest job is not on your list. I would have voted for the conductor"

ha, obviously never tried then.
gcb_trombone

Post by gcb_trombone »

Having played the tenor horn for most of my musical career and after playing trombone for the past 5 years, id probably say that either the baritone or tenor horn would be easier to play.
the Horn is a reasonable size that doesn't require too much effort to fill, not does it require too much effort to pitch - due to being in the middle range.
The baritone, although is slightly bigger, i find takes slightly more filling but due to the size doesn;t require so much attention to pitching.

My trombone is fine for what i do, but for general intonation and stuff like that id say the horn for definate.
Thats my humble opinion anyway :)
KierenTI

Re: what is the easiest instrument to play

Post by KierenTI »

I think you will find that the conductor has the hardest job in the band and not 'the easiest'. Try getting any band that doesn't make a habit of listening to each other in tune and in time and you will soon see the difficulty of there task!
bbocaner

Re: what is the easiest instrument to play

Post by bbocaner »

I'm a US euphonium and trombone player who has played baritone for around 10 years and has been very serious about the baritone for at least 4 years in a championship-level US band. I firmly believe that the euphonium is a MUCH easier instrument than baritone. Tuning, response, resistance... everything about the baritone is more challenging. However, the typical parts in a brass band arrangement for euphonium are much harder. So are we talking what's easier to play or what's easier to play in a brass band?