Back On Soprano after long break

Discussion of playing techniques. What do you think of different instruments and accessories?

phil mccann

Back On Soprano after long break

Post by phil mccann »

I have recently returned to brass banding after being invited to play percussion with my ex band of many years at the British nationals final in cheltenham (we came 2nd by the way)...as well as being an accomplished percussionist I used to be a soprano cornet player for many years and always though it was the instrument I was born to play..I never struggled with it and I enjoyed every minute , so much so that I actually started to get a bit of a reputation in the North west before I retired about 12 years ago... Now I have found out that the bands sop player is leaving and have been offered his seat. I have had a Shilke at home now for a couple of weeks and I have been playing mainly hymn tunes and articulation exercises.. the problem i am having is actually getting air through it ..it just feels like my lips are swelling and blocking the mouthpiece even though I have the same mouthpiece i always had ( the very same Rudy Muck. 13C.I never got rid of it)I did however, have a bridge fitted to my top teeth about 7 years ago and it seems that this is the problem..(I used to have a small gap between my two front teeth that i used to use to control air flow..... any tips for totally rebuilding my ombachure from scratch..?? I am really passionate about Sop and I would sell my soul to the devil if I could only be a sop player again...I'm afraid that if I am to stay in the band... then I wont settle for anything else...if this doesnt work out then i really dont know what i am going to do because I am very keen to get back into banding again !!
bsdunek

Re: Back On Soprano after long break

Post by bsdunek »

I'm no expert, but, with your dental work, perhaps you can't form the same embouchure you could. I would try some other mouthpieces to see if they help. I had surgery on my lower lip due to a cancerous spot, and that changed how I play. It also took quite a while to get the muscles back in shape. It was like starting on brass for the first time. Hang in there, feed your passion.
Bruce
Michigan, USA
Alto Horn Player
phil mccann

Post by phil mccann »

Actually...our MD has told us tonight that he has put out an ad for a sop player and has had a few interested parties as well as 2 within the band.... It will go to audition...in which case I am up against people who are in practice so I dont recon I got much chance...but then again ..I may surprise myself !
startingsop

Post by startingsop »

Let us know how it goes. Best of luck. Don't give up!