views on the film Brassed Off

Any on- or off-topic things you want to discuss, remember though it's a family forum!
suziem83

views on the film Brassed Off

Post by suziem83 »

Hello everyone!
As a brass player myself, also from Yorkshire, the film Brassed Off means more to me than to a lot of people. For my University degree I am writing an article on how people within the brass band community responded to the film. Did you like it? if so, why? If not, why? Did you find it realistic? What aspects did you like the best? Did it offer a true representation of the brass band world? Did anyone play with Grimethorpe when it was recorded and can offer some inside information? Anything else that you would like to comment on regarding the film would be much appriciated.
Sue x
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Hi Sue,

I enjoyed the film though it has been a few years since I last saw it. I liked it because it's subject is something that I am particularly interested, because I thought it was a good story, well acted. It was not particularly realistic.

However, my favourite aspect was the fact that the film portrayed loyalty and commitment to the brass band, even above family. I think that it may have helped my own family to understand my bbb (brass-band-bug) better.

Best of luck in your degree.
Joe.
traosb

Post by traosb »

I don't know if thought about including ideas from the stage version which toured afterwards, but I thought that was a lot more realistic - even down to the pub lock in...
ayrton1987

Brassed Off

Post by ayrton1987 »

Hi,

Believe it or not, but the first time i watched brassed off was when i was 12 years old - i am now 17, and yet i still love it.

Its one of those films that you can watch and know the story line right at the start.

Usually, most films give away the storyline half way through the film, but this one doesn.t

It is so good, and the characters are really good.

Its the best film about brass i've ever seen (probably because its the only one!)
Louise0502

Post by Louise0502 »

I loved the film! (and Ewan McGregor!)

I thought it was very realistic of my band, particularly the part about getting drunk at Whit Friday! (though we don't do it til after the contest!)

And the loyalty and commitment and pure love of brass bands was the best thing.
Louise Wright
Euph - Hants & IOW Army Cadet Force Band
Euph - Hants & IOW Army Cadet Force Brass Quintet
Fanfare Trombone - Hants & IOW Army Cadet Force Fanfare Team
Side Drum - Hants & IOW Army Cadet Force Corps of Drums
Euph - Blendworth Brass Band
Tash

woohoo!

Post by Tash »

Hi,
Im also a student, I'm studying music at the Univerity of Sheffield and this topic is also relevant to my dissertation, but from a slightly different angle. Im researching changes in brass banding from the 1970's onwards, and I'd love to hear any personal experiences regarding changes people have seen in their bands, for example with reference to social changes and their effects upon the band, financial aspects such as sponsorship and the community's support of the band. Any views would be a real help!
Thanks,
Natasha
john

Post by john »

Im not from Yorkshire, but from a North East background... The film Brassed Off I relate to 100% as the situation is virtually identicle to my own life and times.

and get this........ My own Father who was obsessed with brass bands (and did not look unsimilar to Pete Postlethwaite) pushed me to live his own dream (as he could not play a brass instrument himself) , died of lung cancer induced by emphysema (6 year ago 'although he would never admit it or allow the doctors to do the tests.....we knew).
His dream was to see me play at the Albert hall.....which never hapened.

as a result the film Brassed Off hits me like a bus in the emotions department....superb.

Looking at the smile's on the left I can't find the 'happy tears' one..... so ill just use this one :)
|_|

\_iii__,
/(___)
lucretia

Post by lucretia »

Tash - not sure if it helps your research etc but I was brought up in a banding family and wanted to play the cornet like my dad, uncles, grandad and the rest. But I was a kid in the 1950 and the reaction to my pleading was along the lines of 'Don't be so daft, lass'. I was offered piano or violin lessons instead. I went for piano and helped my dad and the rest of them by playing accompaniment to their REAL music but I always yearned to play cornet. When I see women in bands now I' m so envious I could cry and I hope they realise just how lucky they are!
trailblaze

Post by trailblaze »

I’ve been playing trombone for about 12 years and have been in a brass band for 5yrs. Its very close to being my favourite film of all time and has to be watched regularly with the soundtrack in the car!

My Grandad played cornet until he was 80 so have always been in touch with bands. Coming from Suffolk I’m not sure if we qualify to comment but I’d say that its very close to what real banding is like. My band are like one big family and it is pretty much what I do with most of my life and I’m only 22! We’re struggling a bit with members at the moment, but I know there are plenty of people there that would give anything to keep it going.

And as far as the romance is concerned, there have been so many couples in the Band over the years - we have had one marriage so far and I’m engaged to the solo cornet player, so I guess that’s pretty accurate!
Hobbsy

Cornish View

Post by Hobbsy »

I am from Cornwall and not Yorkshire but I love Brassed off all the same. It is like a typical brass band. You don't resign because the conductor may hit you and the bass section is typical of todays. (well atleast my band anyway!!!)

The pressure is always on at the contest season and your conductor always tells you we are going to win.

I hope that has helped a little.

Best Wishes
Hobbsy
Tom Hobbs
2nd Horn, Mount Charles
suzie_day

Post by suzie_day »

brassed off! is so great! we have it on dvd, and the suround sound is fantastic.

to our brass band, we are really glad that there is finally a brassy film of. when ever we go on trips, to the states or such, it is always the film we watch on the conductors laptop.

over all, my fav film, yet none of my non-brassy friends have heared of it
~*~*~*~*~*~*~susan day*~*~*~*~*~*~

http://brassmusicfreak.6.forumer.com/index.php

baritones rule okay?
confuoco

Post by confuoco »

although the film is nothing like my brass band or any other brass band that i have seen (all old men, but the drinking is fairly accurate) it is a really good film, and has a great (but rather overplayed) soundtrack!
gee, that was a boring hymn, lets play another
Flugelia

Grimethorpe

Post by Flugelia »

French original version :

J'ai vu un matin gris la belle-fleur immobile
Mais aussi tant de roses en guise de terril
Je n'ai pas entendu les pioches zèlées
Mais le tendre réconfort des bugles ailés
Ils ne descendront plus, ces visages de houille
Dont l'emblème chéri s'appelle Dany Boy
Maman l'a retrouvé ! Pour nous encourager,
Les voici conduisant le chœur des bien-aimés
Et je franchis la mer, et je vais pas à pas
Je vois un clair matin s'entrelacer nos bras
Nous levons notre verre à la joie qui l'emporte
A notre jumelage, petite Grimethorpe

English translation :

I saw in the grey morning the lift of the coal mine standing still
But also so many roses as coal tip
I didn’t hear the zealous pickaxes
But the sweet comforting flugel horns
They wont’t go in the pit, these darkened faces whose dear emble mis named Dany Boy
Mummy has met him, and to encourage us
Here they are, conducting our beloved persons’s choir
And I cross the sea, and I go step by step
I see the bright morning when we’ll meet and kiss
We’ll raise a glass to the victorious joy
To our twinning, little Grimethorpe !

You ask me what I think about the film Brassed Off, what impact it had on me... Voilà, as I say in my language !
Linda/Flugelia
Flugelia

Grimethorpe... My dream !

Post by Flugelia »

First, I dream that an audiodescription of this film could be done in French so it could be shown in the Charity where I work at the Library, so my colleagues and friends could share and discuss about the musical and social values of this chef-d'oeuvre.
Then I dream to share a bit of Grimethorpe's daily life within a family. I feel so near to Grimethorpe as myself I was comforted by music and could be ready steady to march onwards after Mum's long journey to Heaven. But it requires the best of preparation because of my sight disability.
Even if this dream doesn't come true, Grimethorpe will remain in my heart, and I see it as a little light on the horizon line.
Lots of love to my twinning-village, to all the members of the band and their families. Some of the Young musicians have parents who were miners.
Lots and lots of love !
Linda/Flugelia