HISTORY OF BRASS BAND INSTRUMENTATION

Share some tips, what works and what doesn't work?
astrolabe

HISTORY OF BRASS BAND INSTRUMENTATION

Post by astrolabe »

Good Day,

I am interested in finding out why there are, in a traditional instrumentation, 4 or 5 solo cornet players and only 1 or 2 second and third cornet players.

I come from a concert (military) band background and am having difficulty in arranging a piece for a brass band.

Most of the solo parts that I have seen have the same rhythms in the divided parts. Would it be appropriate to have distinctly different ryhthmic lines in the solo cornet part?

I hope I am being clear. What I want is to have (in the first layer) a solo part holding tied C's in 5/4 time through several measures. In the second layer I would like the other solo players to play this rhythm: (1/4 rest, 1/4 note slurred to a dotted half note in each 5/4 measure).

Is this ever done?

Sorry if I haven't been clear. This is my first major arrangement for Brass Band and I would like to stay "true" to the conventions.
njh
Site Admin

Re: HISTORY OF BRASS BAND INSTRUMENTATION

Post by njh »

There is nothing wrong in splitting the solo cornet line, melodcially, rhymicallly or both. There may be a reabability issue if you only issue one part, but otherwise feel free to do it.

Sometimes composers don't experiment with counterpoint as much as we'd like to see.

-Nigel

PS. American->English translation for the English readers amongst us:

measure = bar
1/2 note = minim
1/4 note = chrotchet
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Clinician, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Laurel, MD. ICQ#20252325 twitter: @nigelhorne
njh@bandsman.co.uk https://www.bandsman.co.uk
astrolabe

THANKS

Post by astrolabe »

Thank you Nigel,

I have found your treatise on composing/arranging for Brass Band (resident on this site) very helpful as I wander down this exciting path. As I mentioned, I come from a Military Band background and am finding Brass Band music very challenging and rewarding.

Once again thank you.
njh
Site Admin

Re: THANKS

Post by njh »

I'm glad you found it helpful. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

-Nigel
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Clinician, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Laurel, MD. ICQ#20252325 twitter: @nigelhorne
njh@bandsman.co.uk https://www.bandsman.co.uk