Triple tongue problem?????

Discussion of playing techniques. What do you think of different instruments and accessories?

john

Triple tongue problem?????

Post by john »

I thought I was very proficient at triple tonging until today.

I decided to refresh myself with some Arban work from the start of that section.

Now, nobody has ever criticized my triple tongue work in the past but according to Arban I'm doing it all wrong?!!!!

Each triplet I produce thus:-

. . .
Tu.Ka.Tu.

but I should be producing:-

. . .
Tu.Tu.Ka.

How important is the above? if at all? ... If I have to change my ways its going to take some serious dedication now! :cry: :shock:

For example....below is a series of triplets produced both ways...again?...does it really matter which way you produce the triplets as long as they are clean??....erm....is Tu.Tu.Ka significantly clearer for instance?....if so I have to change!

Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Ta.
Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.
|_|

\_iii__,
/(___)
njh
Site Admin

Re: Triple tongue problem?????

Post by njh »

I would suggest becoming proficient in both methods (TTK and TKT) then you can pick and choose according to the music demands and suggestions of your conductor and/or section leader.
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Clinician, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Laurel, MD. ICQ#20252325 twitter: @nigelhorne
njh@bandsman.co.uk https://www.bandsman.co.uk
tigger908

Post by tigger908 »

__ __
| | | | | |

Given 2 groups of quavers

tu ku tu tu ku tu - with your tripple tounging
tu tu ku tu tu ku - with the arben's tripple tounging
tu ku tu ku tu ku - double tounging

I can only think that perhaps the arbus selected method makes the third of each triplet the weak note giving emphisis to the first of the next group?

Tiggs
trumpetstuff

Re: Triple tongue problem?????

Post by trumpetstuff »

john wrote:I thought I was very proficient at triple tonging until today.

I decided to refresh myself with some Arban work from the start of that section.

Now, nobody has ever criticized my triple tongue work in the past but according to Arban I'm doing it all wrong?!!!!

Each triplet I produce thus:-

. . .
Tu.Ka.Tu.

but I should be producing:-

. . .
Tu.Tu.Ka.

How important is the above? if at all? ... If I have to change my ways its going to take some serious dedication now! :cry: :shock:

For example....below is a series of triplets produced both ways...again?...does it really matter which way you produce the triplets as long as they are clean??....erm....is Tu.Tu.Ka significantly clearer for instance?....if so I have to change!

Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Ta.
Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.Tu.Tu.Ka.

I do it exactly the same. Taught myself how to triple tongue and no one complained when I was playing The Nightingale by Harold Moss - which is mostly triple tonguing!

I couldn't do it any other way without sounding like a beginner!
suzie_day

Post by suzie_day »

it isn the correct way, but i go
Ta.Di.Ka.

works for me. try it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~susan day*~*~*~*~*~*~

http://brassmusicfreak.6.forumer.com/index.php

baritones rule okay?
Rebecca Devaney

Triple tonging

Post by Rebecca Devaney »

Is it true that some people just can't do triple tonging? I've never been able to manage double tonging let along triple. I remember my teacher getting very exasperated with me. My dentist once told me I have a small jaw in relation to the size of my tongue. I've always thought this could be the reason. However, it could be that I've never really persued it for long enough, always giving up when I shower the room in spit.

Any tips for a double/triple tonging failure? (I play cornet if that makes a difference)
crapiano

Post by crapiano »

Any tips for a double/triple tonging failure?
Unfortunately it's just practice practice practice. Got an Arban Tutor? Loads of exercises in there.

Just wrap the rest of your house / family in a tarpaulin first :wink: .
crapiano

I drink, therefore I am.
Rebecca Devaney

Triple Tonging

I thought that might be the answer!

A year or so ago I was trying and my husband, who I had just begun to teach the baritone, asked what I was doing. I explained and he asked if he could have a go. He did it straight away and that was on my cornet. I don't think I've tried since then.
Last edited by Rebecca Devaney on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
gcb_trombone

Post by gcb_trombone »

Sounds daft, but I've never really ahd to do any triple tonguing before, but I have a book called 'soloists companion' basically it's full of cornet solos like Nightingale, Jenny Jones etc.. and they have a lot of Triplet semiquavers.

Just as a laugh, I tried one of them (on a trombone) and i managed the triple tonguing no problem.

The thing is, the way you are explaining it, with t's and k's, I use the following:

de ge da.

I guess it's all down to personal preference.
Rebecca Devaney

As well as cornet, I also play with an adult flute group. We were doing double and triple tonging exercises this week - I'm even worse at it on flute than I am on cornet!

She suggests de-ga de-ga too, but also said some people just can't do it! Makes me feel better!
jp_euph

Post by jp_euph »

im sure you can do it. you need to understand what to do, and then be able to step away, otherwise people get over concerned with what they read.

why not go to a brass teacher for some lessons.

would be happy to chat to you about it on yahoo/msn

JP
dwerden

Post by dwerden »

I have found a pretty effective practice technique to help your triple tonguing improve. It uses a single-tongue excerpt to compare to your triple-tongue excerpt, and is a really fast way to improve the results (whether you use TTK or TKT). It have the whole idea posted here:

http://www.dwerden.com/blog3/display_bl ... C075488FE6
Dave Werden
www.dwerden.com / www.tubaeuph.com
Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba, University of Minnesota
Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired