Flutter Tonguing.

Discussion of playing techniques. What do you think of different instruments and accessories?

gcb_trombone

Flutter Tonguing.

Post by gcb_trombone »

Obviously it comes with practice, but what is the technique for flutter tonguing?

I;ve tried a few times, and I'll I get is the gargle in the back of my throat...
Rebecca Devaney

Post by Rebecca Devaney »

Another thing I can't do (see the triple tonging post).

I'm fairly sure this is a case where you can or you can't. I'm told you have to be able to roll your r's.
gcb_trombone

Post by gcb_trombone »

Just tried it at work- feel a right prat - sound slike im at the dentist! :roll:
njh
Site Admin

Post by njh »

Start by saying brrrrrr (if in doubt stand outside for a few minutes today) and keep the r rolling as long as you can. Then try the effect into the mouthpiece. Flutter tounging as you change notes and harmonics is the most difficult to master.
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Clinician, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Laurel, MD. ICQ#20252325 twitter: @nigelhorne
njh@bandsman.co.uk https://www.bandsman.co.uk
gcb_trombone

Post by gcb_trombone »

won't be hard to say brr in this weather.... 8)

I've got a rehearsal tongith so I'll try it then - be a bit colder tonight...
trevor_john

Flutter tonguing

Post by trevor_john »

It is a fact that many people are not able to roll their r's - whatever the weather! Brrrrr can be pronounced with or without roll. The following is the procedure shown in "wikihow"
http://www.wikihow.com/Roll-Your-%22R%22s
which may be helpful:
1. Bend the tip of your tongue up very slightly just behind your top gums. Specifically the tip of your tongue should be loose and just below the roof of the mouth between the upper teeth and the hard palate: the alveolar ridge. The part of your mouth that contains the tooth sockets is the right place to be.
2. Depending on the specific language, your tongue may be slightly touching your alveolar ridge, or not touching.
3. Tense your tongue, but leave the tip loose to vibrate. This sound is known as a trill because it is created with multiple vibrations.
4. Breathe out, allowing your tongue to vibrate with the passing air. This should produce somewhat of a "purring" sound.
5. The rolling "R" sound is just the flutter of a tongue with the passing air, not a special curl or a fold.
6. Some people find it easier to allow their tongue to vibrate against their mouth, while others prefer not to. Make sure that if you touch your teeth, do so lightly.
7. Try replacing the "r" with a "d" sound if your "r"s still aren't rolling. (For instance, the word "practice" would become "pdactice".) However, it won't sound right if you say the word slowly, or if the word begins with an "r".
8. Put your mouth in different positions and pronounce: [ri] (english sound: ree), [re] (es: ray), [ra] (es: rah), [ro] (es: row), [ru] (es: rew). 9. Try to go through musical scales or a simple song singing "rrrrr."
10. Use a foreign language dictionary to practice words containing a rolled letter R.
Stick with it. If you're having a hard time, don't think it's because your mouth just wasn't built for it, unless you have any of the physical conditions described in the Warnings below. There is no genetic reason why a given person cannot roll their "r"s, rather it is a question of practice and developing tongue strength. So keep at it and eventually your "r"s will be perrrrrfect!
KierenTI

Re: Flutter Tonguing.

Post by KierenTI »

Thanks for the advice Trevor John, I really struggled with flutter tonguing...don't get me wrong i still do...but that has helped me to get to at least a half decent standard! :D