Top D

Discussion of playing techniques. What do you think of different instruments and accessories?

njh
Site Admin

Top D

Post by njh »

Why do brass band players insist on playing top D with the 1st valve (3rd position for trombones), when it's perfectly in tune when played open (1st position for trombones). It'd also be easier since you can use a lower harmonic [ the same is true for C# ].

I have even seen this in print - Wright and Round's Complete Method states to use 1st valve on top D. Why? It isn't needed and you're just making life more tricky than it need be.

-Nigel
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Clinician, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Laurel, MD. ICQ#20252325 twitter: @nigelhorne
njh@bandsman.co.uk https://www.bandsman.co.uk
Dave Payn

Post by Dave Payn »

It's also generally more in tune and less 'splitty' than playing it on 1st valve which on most instruments I've played, comes up flat. And yes, high C# is better on 2nd valve.

I think there is a 'gap' in many (not all) lower section bands in knowledge or lack of willingness to try alternate fingering. I've just taken over conducting Arran Brass, an inexperienced 4th section band with some players admittedly not having played for very long. Nevertheless, it's a job to convince some of the euphs and basses (some of whom have played for a few years) about the joys of the 4th valve, likewise the triggers on the cornets as well as possible alternate fingerings. I feel it is an area, as I've said before, where tuition is lacking in lower section banding.
Conductor, Arran Brass. Brass Band tutor for the Workers' Music Association Summer School. Founder and director, Arran Brass Monkeys Quintet.
njh
Site Admin

Post by njh »

Sorry to say that I've also seen this fingering used in top section bands...
gcb_trombone

Post by gcb_trombone »

I've always played my Top D (Trombone) in 3rd. Slightly shortened as with the Top A.
Never been a problem for me - unless its after a heavy blowing piece....
njh
Site Admin

Post by njh »

Why play it on 3rd when you can play it easier on 1st?
Dave Payn

Post by Dave Payn »

I should clarify a point I made in my original reply, having re-read it! When I said it was a job to convince certain players in Arran Brass to use the 4th valve etc. that wasn't meant to imply they were unwilling to learn! Far from it, it's just something that they had not tried before and it's taking a while for them to get used to the idea! Willingness to learn is just one of the many joys I've encountered since taking over the reins.
Conductor, Arran Brass. Brass Band tutor for the Workers' Music Association Summer School. Founder and director, Arran Brass Monkeys Quintet.
gcb_trombone

Post by gcb_trombone »

I;ve always played top D in 3rd - so why change?
njh
Site Admin

Post by njh »

LOL
gcb_trombone

Post by gcb_trombone »

Its true - ive been playing music for 12 years and ive always blown with my cheeks out (shouldn't do) and I got told i needed to bring them in - well after 12 years I don;t think im going to spend another 12 years perfecting playing with my cheeks in too!

Nothing to do with Top Ds but oh well..