Help with mouthpieces

Discussion of playing techniques. What do you think of different instruments and accessories?

SilkySop

Help with mouthpieces

Post by SilkySop »

I am going to look at schilke soprano cornets tomorrow, and I will also need a good mouthpiece to play this with.

I currently play a Yamaha sop, with a denis wick s mouthpiece, but I have been advised against buying denis wick for mouthpieces, although he has said to try the cornets out with this.

However, I need to know more about mouthpieces. My teacher used terms about mouthpieces I didn't understand, and he is currently too busy to help me with mouthpieces. If someone could help me by explaining what throat, backbore, and cupsize mean, what size of these is helpful, and so on, or link to a site explaining these, I would be very greatful.

I understand that form my ignorance about mouthpieces you may think I am not ready to be using a schilke, but I want to buy one before I leave school, so I can have VAT off.

Thankyou in advance.
TinyTrumpeteer

get one!

Post by TinyTrumpeteer »

you should buy one!:D
If you are going to throw a stick of dynamite out of the car window, make sure the window is open before you light the dynamite.