contesting

Discussion of playing techniques. What do you think of different instruments and accessories?

david

contesting

Post by david »

Could anybody explain why brass players cannot play for 15 minutes before they enter the stage at the Yorkshire area contest. As a soprano play I find it uncomfortable to sit on stage having only blown warm air in my instrument for the past 15 minutes especially if I have an exposed passage at the beginning of the test-piece. This does not happen in professional orchestras.
davidhirst
njh
Site Admin

Re: contesting

Post by njh »

I am told that it was tried in Northern Ireland, but the conductors didn't know what to do with the time! Unbelievable, but true. The idea was dropped in the following year :(

-Nigel
steve_earley

Post by steve_earley »

I've only ever played in one Area venue that allowed a proper warmup and that was Basildon, where there was a separate theatre space available to competing bands for 10mins before taking the stage.
Johan

Post by Johan »

I dont mind not to play for 15 minutes before a contest! If your warming up is ok before that, you have nothing to worry about!
gcb_trombone

Post by gcb_trombone »

A few years ago, in Bristol, for a championship (4th section test piece was a piece by peter graham in 4 movements if anyone remembers - 1999), and our badn was in the back room, blowing air though the instruments and just gently warming up. All of a sudden, this guy comes up and asks everyone to literally shut-up and said we wer making too much noise?
Oh well... Just thought i'd share that with you...
trumpetstuff

Post by trumpetstuff »

That happens in most area contests I have performed at! I hate the "signing on" stage just before you're due to play. No tuning or last minute warm ups.
suzie_day

Post by suzie_day »

here, we sign the form, have a 10 minute whole band practice/warm up, then walk on to stage. no hassles, no worries
~*~*~*~*~*~*~susan day*~*~*~*~*~*~

http://brassmusicfreak.6.forumer.com/index.php

baritones rule okay?